My Lord! Open up for me my heart. And ease for me my task. And untie the knot of my tongue.
That they may understand my speech.

Qur'an - 20:25-28

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Operation Abby

HEY Y'ALL.

Yes, I've neglected blah-blah-blogging for a while, but that was because I needed to avoid writing anymore about my beautiful homeland, because it would just further increase the homesickness. Also, I've pretty much been attacked from all sides by Team Catch-Up Homework, and day-ummn, are they TOUGH. As it is, I still haven't caught up completely on maths, but I DID TWO MORE QUESTIONS. FEELIN'. SO. ACCOMPLISHED.

(How my standards have dropped.)
(Well, it was hard, okay?!)

Anywho, so what's been happening? A lot, I guess. For one, this week, I met my two new tutors. Tutor pour les mathemetiques is a genius, and I have faith in him. And he talks a lot, so I don't have to provide much conversation. And the time is pretty much taken up on him answering all the questions I have trouble with, so it's not that awkward being one-on-one.

Tutor pour l'English[?] is Indian, and he's pretty darn awesome. He's sarcastically funny, he's passionate, and he has the wide vocab (I mean, that's expected right?) and he totally understands the perspective, of, well, Curries. 'Cause he is one. And I love how he doesn't doubt my Curry-ness just 'cause I'm Muslim. 

(People see me in a hijab and they assume I'm Arab. I mean, I look nothing like an Arab. Oh, and on a side note, everyone else overseas sees me as Pakistani o.O I mean, in Sri Lanka, we went to a wedding, and this old lady was like; 'are you from Pakistan?' and I'm just like...'NO, I'M A CURRY TOO, STUPID BUFFALO!' (well, obviously phrased nicely, but you'd think she'd recognise her own countryman, right?), and then in Saudi, oh Lord, Saudi! How many Arabs asked me if I'm Pakistani there? How many Pakistani's asked me if I'm Pakistani? How many Pakistani's assumed I was Pakistani and automatically started speaking to me in Urdu and whatnot, leaving me blinking in complete bafflement. Oh, and I also babysat these two cutesy little Pakistani kids, and now I know I have a basis for what I'd LIKE my future babies to look like, of course, I have a lot of basiss? Basis's? Bases. ^^ )

And there's another guy, and even though I don't talk to him (poor soul, he tried to make conversation, and he failed miserably. They all do.) he makes things less awkward, 'cause honestly, I don't really like single focus, and for maths it's okay, 'cause I have a lot of questions, but English I don't have as many, and yet, because that guy is there, I can talk more to the teacher. Don't know why. But English tuition, I've actually fallen in love with.

Mkay, what else?

On the weekend, it started raining, and there was one of the few things I like about Melbourne. Rain is just lovely here, and I finished maximum homework and sat down to watch a movie: Unstoppable. Fantastic flick, and even though it's definitely exaggerated for Hollywood purposes, it's still amazing and the crux of it is captured. Recommended ;)

Now, I have named this post 'Operation Abby', and honestly, it's because I couldn't think up another name, in relation to anything currently fascinating in my life. But this thing with Abby is interesting. See, Abby is a lovely girl, like, she's not mean at all, but she is also the epitome of a trashy, emotional teenager. I've never actually seen her turn into a wreck, but she does tell me about it. She's always getting piercings, excessively, dreams of tattoos and all that, her mind is predominantly focused on boys, and she's always singing.... the kind of songs that you guys know I don't like. Of course, I try not to judge people based on the music they listen to, because you know a lot of people just listen to 'what sounds good' but don't care about what the words are saying, but Abby...

Okay, let me start on the Piercing Episode. Abby.... she's got who-knows-how many piercings on her ears, a belly piercing, and over the holidays got one on her tongue. I find it revolting, and I'm aiming to be a 'strictly honest' person on opinion, and although it's not completely into my system, I can do it with Abby, and I told her so. I asked her why, first, and she said it was because it felt good while kissing.

EW.

I mean, why do you need to make a hole in yourself that causes you unnecessary pain just to... amplify the pleasure of a ... pass-time? that I'm sure would still be 'pleasurable', so to speak, without it?

And you know, she LoL'd her way through it. Really, I love lecturing her, 'cause she loves to annoy me in return, and I just assume anything I say never gets to her head. Then one day, in form class, she was telling me about how she wanted to get a nose ring. Now, nose rings don't REALLY bother me, but with the accumalating number of holes on Abby, it was really irritating me.

So I started to explain how in this Indian movie called Ra-One (I haven't watched), Sharukh Khan rocks up at some point with so many piercings on his face that he probably set off those metal detector things at an airport 6km away, and in the Chammak Challo video (sung by Akon, if you didn't know) we have, whenever my cousins see that bit, they call him 'bull'. 'Cause in India, Sri Lanka, I donno where else, they tend to pierce bulls' noses, and that's what he reminded them of (though they do in fact love him). Then I went on to explain to Abby that piercing the nose also used to be a brand on female prostitutes, a long time ago. I told her if she got a piercing on her nose, I probably wouldn't go around calling her a prostitute, but I'd definitely call her a bull. She laughed in her Abby way, and life went on.

The next day, at form class, she's showing everyone, including moi, her new piercing.... on her ear. I didn't think much on it, until Jo asked her, 'what happened to getting it on your nose?'

And she said, 'Oh, Laila was saying she would call me a bull if I got one there, 'cause apparently that's what they do to bulls', and I was like, in my head, J;FAJDHFA;DIFHAD SHE LISTENS!!!!

And there's this song, I don't know what, but the key line is: 'Give me everything tonight. For all we know, we might not get tomorrow.'

And I was asking her how she could sing that, it was so stupid, and she was saying it was really 'emotional and deep', and I was telling her that you can't just screw around every day/night of your life on the basis that 'there might not be tomorrow', and she was saying 'oh come on, if a hot stranger came up to you and said 'give me everything tonight', wouldn't you agree?'

And I'm like :O

And then, I say: 'No, I would SLAP him. How could you even contemplate agreeing like that to a stranger? Don't you have any self respect?'

And she said: 'But it's just one night, and then you can forget about it forever.'

And I'm like: 'Yeah, until he leaves you with a baby.'

And then she went on to talk about all those... pregnancy preventatives.....and I went on to say they were not a hundred percent reliable... and that regardless of that, HOW CAN YOU AGREE LIKE THAT TO A STRANGER?! HE COULD BE A CREEPER! A MURDERER! SOMEONE WHO JUST SLEEPS AROUND FOR FUN! HECK, THE WAY HE MAKES HIS OFFER, HE DEFINITELY DOES!

This conversation went on and on through that 20min form class, and I'm glad to say, my patient friends, that in the end, she promised that she would... stay a virgin 'til marriage, and that yes, she was still a virgin. The point is, although I've realised that she does in fact listen to me, and I've resolved to 'guide' her, a little. I'm not going to convert her into something crazy, like myself, but I just want to make sure she has that self-respect for herself, and that she's not going to end up.... like some people I don't want to describe.

(God, now I know I'm really growing up.)

Okay, this is long. I'ma leave you with some cutesy photos of the babies in our family:





Aww ♥ Just a few more who will grow up not knowing me, whose growing up I will miss. 

LESS THAN TWO YEARS TO GO, THOUGH.

ATM:
Writing: .... I've resolved to start on the holidays.
Reading: City of Glass. Cassandra Clare. Considering I borrowed it from Mr Swan last year, I figured I better get round to reading it.
Listening to: Ours. Taylor Swift. Okay, well I'm not listening to it now, because, whatever, but it's my new favourite :)
Feeling: As I said, accomplished. Thanks to God, my prayers have been answered. Relief in maths ^^

Don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
The stakes are high, the water's rough,
But this love is ours
Peace in,
Laila

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You really do care for Abby. Good luck guiding her. ^^

    And your babies are so cute. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that I've stressed this enough:

    You write awfully good. Like, awesomely.
    (Kudos. Your writing keeps me reading xD)

    Sadly, it's night time here... so I'll cut this comment sort (:

    That conversation with your friend threw me into some mad giggles XD But you're totes right. Some self respect should be totally thought about. (: & yeah... there is a lot of music that's pretty revealing, I suppose. xD

    (I must say that it's a usual here ^^ considering that everyone's allowed to do whatever it is that they want to do by a certain age. Of course, that's either too liberal and not very conservative, but blah. To each his/her own xD I really don't have much to offer there, tbh, lol ^^)

    *hugs and best of wishes*, ♥

    ReplyDelete

Meow.