My Lord! Open up for me my heart. And ease for me my task. And untie the knot of my tongue.
That they may understand my speech.

Qur'an - 20:25-28

Thursday, August 25, 2011

It Keeps Getting Better

WARNING: title statement loaded with heavy sarcasm.

It started with that stupid coldsore, which is clearly dying at this point... and then on Tuesday, I got a needle. Vaccination for tetanus and whooping cough and... whatever.

Oh, man, it was PAINFUL.

So there we were, loitering about like cattle for the slaughterhouse, and the charming boys in our class decided to make Star, Jane and I feel better by telling us medical horror stories, only to say we were getting this tiny leetle needle that was nothing in comparison. Psh.

But everyone was leaving looking okay, and even though I still had the skeevies, I thought I could man it up. I mean, when I was little, so long as there was a sticker promised at the end, I had no issues. Nothing. At. All.

In... year seven... it hurt, a bit, and I had the tearspricklinginmyeyes sensation, but I was over it quickly.

This time, the shot was uber painful. And I held it together for the most part, though I was ... nauseous... I watched this girl being made to lie down, take another shot with adrenaline, and then have all this equipment placed on her because she had an allergic reaction. Star and I were the last ones there, and then I just burst into tears.

But I managed to walk away, anyway, get to class, and make it all the way through school. Come home, my arm is still aching, so my mother makes me do nothing for the rest of the day. The next day, joy, oh joy, my arm hurts even more. Apparently this was how it was supposed to be - all the people in our year level were feeling it too. But on top of that, I had this massive headache.

At the end of the day, I 'lost' my locker keys. I had to stay back ot find them, and then, after waiting for this teacher in her excessively long phone conversation, she finally brings out the lost keys and lo and behold, there's mine. Thank God my mother loves me enough to pick me up that day.

At home, I go straight to bed in my uniform, and barely scrape it to iftar. I'm a zombie with a fever after that. Come today and my mother decides I'm incapable of fasting, I ditch school and go to the doctor's. I'm diagnosed with some kind of virus/infection. She says I just have to suck it up, if it's too bad I can have antibiotics.

But then, I'm sort of getting better, you know?

Come home, bludge away. 

Star gets home from school and just brightens my day. I have 2 SACs next week - both really hard, the maths one even the smartest maths dude doesn't understand.

Just. Great.

(Course it's not Star's fault, she was just being the messenger.)

BUT. I'm going to have to suck it up. I've always spent time telling people there's nothing they can do, suck it up, and someone in the world always has it worse. So it's time I take my own advice. Besides, in my religion, getting sick is also a way of purifying yourself. I think, if you remain sincere, and really ask for it, your sins get uhm - expelled? - easier. Thank God. Literally.

Also, I have three new Lenka songs to listen to. I particularly like this one called 'Deep Blue', which is not an original of hers, but it sounds nice, and it's basically about how techonology is eating up our lives and how we, as humans, are having less to offer.

I've begun on my Lisa McMann story too, it involves the Russian Mafia and certain death for my protaganist :) 
Fabulous.

And Eid, Eid is insha'allah on Tuesday! So. So. So excited. Despite the rest of the crepe-filled week that should follow. Whatever.

So in order to boost my spirits, and maybe yours, the song of today is Not Afraid to Stand Alone, by Native Deen. I love it - we used to have the album but we gave it to our cousins in Sri-Lanka, and, as young as they were, they ended up destroying it. Morons.
Peace in,
Laila

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. o.o


    ....and that's exactly why I hate needles. *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sucks that vaccinations or vaccines... whatever the [muffin!] that is... well, they're small amounts of said virus/whateverisbadforyou-thing that your body is supposed to fight against... like practice for the next time the virus' cousin comes lurking to avenge their kin.

    (haha ^^ Viruses coming to avenge their kin... word... and don't they seem gross?? x__x)

    Great post. & I HOPE YOU'RE DOING OKAY in the health part ^^ ♥

    ReplyDelete

Meow.