My Lord! Open up for me my heart. And ease for me my task. And untie the knot of my tongue.
That they may understand my speech.

Qur'an - 20:25-28

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Socially,

University  is overrated. I had to say it.

Before I started uni,  everyone gushed about the... no The University Social Life.


Like OMG, you're gonna meet more sophisticated people and they're going to be like you and you're gonna hang out and have coffee and it's going to be so mature and cool and not like the trash you have in high school and blah blah BLAH BLAH BLAHHHHHH.


IT'S A LIE.

It's just... not as they say, although I might just add that it may be specific to the individual/course/campus.

For example, my campus is teeny tiny, and my course is pretty small too, so between all the lectures and tutorials and labs, you tend to see the same faces. However, I've heard that on the Clayton campus, it's very likely that you can meet someone once and never see them again.

What's awesome about my course - Nursing and Paramedics - is that you have to be good at communicating. You have to be nice and friendly. And while I didn't think I was the best at this, everyone else is, so it makes chatting pretty easy. And everyone's just so nice. So that's a perk.

My problem is really with the notion of making the supposedly fantastic 'friends'. Kinda. I mean, I had a crisis and it has since been resolved. Bear with me.

Basically, you may remember that I made a friend on my first orientation day. It wasn't too hard to find her again, but in the meantime, when I couldn't find her for a moment, I made another friend. And before long - give it a week or two - we had this group. It was fun. I liked it.

So uni goes by, you have the assignments, you have the mid-semester stuff, la di da. Late  in the semester, I thought: we've been hanging out for a while. We like each other. Why not try to take our 'hanging out' outside of a university context?

So I suggested we have a picnic, after one of our 'big' assessments.

Okay, so picnics are a bit of a weird suggestion. I figured that out after the laughs and odd looks. I can't help that I grew up with extraordinary friends. But at the time, I was a little miffed, and I started thinking. Thinking about certain things usually takes me downhill.

I started realising how reluctant everyone was just to hang out. Most people drive at uni, they have their own cars. As soon as a lecture is over, they just feel the need to rush home. None of my driving uni friends ever feel interested in just staying back a little, having this so-called traditional coffee. No one feels like just talking about stuff not really related to uni. What's their excuse? I'm dependant on buses, as are some of my other friends, but the drivers - why? 

During this crisis, I talked to a lot of other people, different courses, campuses. They kinda all said the same thing. People just come to uni when they have to, then leave ASAP. I guess a part of it is just all the studying, assignments, and work too... but come on. To have one social gathering every now and again can't be that hard.


I just thought, as a first year, that we were all in that same boat where we're equally lost and enthusiastic, eager to make friends and do this uni thing right. So I was a bit depressed when it didn't turn out that way. I mean, there was also this hype about joining clubs, and people I know who have done that stuff don't even attend the meetings and stuff...

But I guess that was just my high expectations.

So I've realised the value of having a few, meaningful friends, and just appreciating the sort of smile-and-wave friendships for what they are. I guess you can't just expect the same sort of connection from everyone, y'know?


(Late) Eid Mubarak, guys, and Happy (late) Friendship Day (apparently?) ^_^


Peace in,
Laila

8 comments:

  1. What social lifeeee? My social life during uni only existed on semester breaks. And now it is rampant during working life BECAUSE you got money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have used your wisdom a little earlier. But I understand now, and I'm glad you got to the other side ^_^ I'LL SEE YOU THERE. KIND OF.

      Delete
  2. Aww, why are they being so boring? :( I hope you find friends who want more than just to share classes soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FINALLY. Sorry. For some reason my commenting thing wasn't working. On numerous devices. But it is now.
      I was wondering the same thing ^_^ And I've got friends now, and I love them. It was just a bit different to how I expected, I guess... C'est la vie.

      Delete
  3. First: I missed you.

    Second: I felt the same way about my first Uni. But you know, after I had managed my expectations I went on a look out for people I wanted to be surrounded by. So by the time I was done with Uni, most of my friends were from different courses, and spread over several years. One of the best things that happened to me since it forced me to expand my horizon and meet all the amazing friend I now have. :)

    Third: I LOVE picnics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. I mean it.

      I thought I was pretty good at managing expectations, but it turns out I wasn't :P I'm learning, though, and I really hope I end up with your happy ending... (I'll try not to have heightened expectations of that either, though ^_^ )

      (DAMMIT. Why don't I have the picnic people with me?!)

      Delete
  4. I think they are too shy and secretly wish they were as confident and brave as you are.

    Keep having picnics! Keep putting yourself out there. You'll find like minded people and they will be your tribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's one I haven't heard of. Brave. I don't know. I think it's more like university has given me a clean slate to start with, so I can form the first impression that I want...I mean, from my school days, I started off as the quiet little nerd, and although I didn't mind it too much, it was sort of hard to break the mould when, on occasion, I actually had things to say, you know? So although not a lot has changed at uni, I've just managed to settle myself as someone who can hold a conversation ^_^

      And I'm all for picnics, I'm just wait on my tribe :)

      Delete

Meow.