My Lord! Open up for me my heart. And ease for me my task. And untie the knot of my tongue.
That they may understand my speech.

Qur'an - 20:25-28

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Where Babies Come From

I remember the day I learnt that babies are not bought from special shops called Hospitals, that day when all the notions of angelic storks flew out the window.

I remember that our dad had just dropped us off from school, and my mother was still in the kitchen. My sister sort of caught me in that moment where we lingered in the hallway. She had this really evil glint in her eye, and she leaned in close and said: "Do you want to know where babies come from?"

Obviously, that by itself does not say much. But it was the tone, the kind of tone that suggests a nasty joke is going to follow, at your expense. And the expression, mischievous, devious. Without her having to say anything further, I knew it was something 'bad', and I remember covering my ears and running for it, down two hallways and out the back door, screaming 'NANANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOUUU!' all the way. I must have been 8 or 9 years old.


She never did give me the details, and I don't actually know when I learned those details, but I count that moment as the one that stole that part of my innocence. Clearly I had been anticipating such a terrible deed when it came out, so that's why I wasn't so shocked as to have the actual memory for the day.


But while I know my own experiences of learning where babies came from, I kind of took my sister's for granted, you know? I never did ask her how she learnt, because I was so devastated that she took that away from me. Well, yesterday, my older sister, Creepy Z, and I were taking a walk down memory lane, and I got the full story.

Let's rewind, way before I ran out screaming and my sister first turned to me with that evil look in her eye.

She's at school, and she happens to look over the shoulders of some guys in her class, on the computer, and lo and behold, what does she see? Some very intimate photos. Lots of people, lack of clothes. You know what I mean. Don't make me say it.


And her little self-righteous self is aghast. 

"What are you looking at? Why are you doing that?" she snaps. The boys kind of roll their eyes.

"Don't you know where babies come from?" one bonehead asks her. And she's still aghast, but now a little disbelieving too, and slightly shocked and disgusted. And a bit curious.

So after we fast forward passed our moment in the hallway of my house, you find her spending the entire day trying to make 'appointments' with my mother. My mother would be in the kitchen, serving lunch, then cleaning up, then making dinner, then cleaning up, and in all these various intervals, my sister'd approach.


"Mum," she'd say hesitantly. "Can I talk to you about something?"

"Yes?" my mother'd reply, her usual indifferent sort of self. My sister would blank, and with hurried mumble of 'nothing', she'd evacuate. It soon became clear she was not going to have That Conversation with my mother, so she had to wait for a certain someone else.

That someone is a girl called Sabriah. Subriah? Umm... wow. I don't even know how to spell her name. But basically, her family is really close with ours, our dads go back to sharing a house in their bachelor days, as they always remind us. Sabriah, she plays the role of both my older sister's close friend, and a kind of older sister for her too. She's the wise one. I have so much respect for her, because she was the one who got me to read Harry Potter. I don't know about you, but usually when my sister hung out with her friends, I'd be kicked out by all of them being the annoying kid sister, and they were never nice about it. Sabriah always made sure I had something to do. 

Anyhow, the point is, my sister kept all this turmoil inside until we visited them. The two of them disappeared into her room, leaving me with the piano that day, maybe. I don't really remember.

As soon as they're locked in, my sister bursts.

"Where are babies from?" she asks, finally allowing the panic she's been penting up to surface. "Because this guy told me this... blah blah blah... but I don't think that's right. It can't be right. It must be haraam. Allah would never allow something like that. It can't be."

Sabriah kind of blinks, and says: "Umm, I think you should say the shahadah, quick, I think you just went outside of Islam then."

I mean, they were both fairly young. My sister would have been 9 or 10, and I guess Sabriah would have been 11 or 12.

Anyway, as soon as my sister affirmed her faith again, Sabriah sat her down with a heavy sigh, one burdened with the weight of bad news.

"I'm afraid it's true," she said, much to my sister's horror.

And that's my sister's story. Why did I share it? Besides the fact that it amuses me, well, the moral is: my older sister was actually really cute once ^_^

So tell me, do you guys have stories about that one moment in your life? Know anyone else's weird or cute stories? I know a guy whose younger sister broke it to him, and he cried. My cousin also said that in our ickle village, if they don't learn it at school, the uncles break it to the boys just before they get married. Girls, due to our official change from girl to woman, learn it a bit earlier. And I mean, tell me, does anyone actually ever have That Talk with their parents, like I always see in movies and TV shows and stuff? I don't think I've ever met someone who has o.O
Peace in,
Laila

23 comments:

  1. I learned it when I was ... I don't remember. I knew the general area it came from but I was clueless. Thank you Science when I was 15. My parents never said anything. All my mom did was "Don't do anything before marriage" which wasn't helpful....

    Thank you Internet.

    Haha

    Can you email me at hanis-is-gorgeous@hotmail.com?

    I think I owe you an explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. x) We have 'health classes' in high school, around 12yrs old, I just don't know how kids learn it earlier o.O I'd rather not have known until health class, actually, but eh, what can you do?
      & will do :)

      Delete
  2. Haha I enjoeyed reading this post!
    Hmmm I'm not sure when I found out about the whole where do babies come from. But until I was around 10, I used to think the baby came out from the belly button :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'awwwww, that's so cute. I just don't think I really thought about it as a kid. I knew they came from mummies' tummies, and you had to get them out in hospitals, and I assumed it always involved getting your belly cut open, but other than that... I never put much thought into it o.o
      Glad it entertained :)

      Delete
  3. It is such a traumatizing thing to learn. I was nine when I found out, on holiday in Iraq when my cousins (not much older than me) broke the news to my sister and I. I remember confidently saying that my parents did it a different way, haha! So my cousins went, 'Go and ask her' and so I did. There you go, here's someone who's had The Talk with their mother, although she dumbed it down and gave me a very vague explanation. Now that I've grown up, I can talk to her about things like that, and I'm glad she's made herself approachable on this subject, because it means I didn't have to resort to the internet for explanations (we all know that's a really, really bad idea)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you got to be older than me ^_^ And I don't think I could ever talk to my mother about the intimate things in life. It's not that she's unapproachable, I just feel like when it gets down to the nitty gritty, I'd rather approach a stranger who I can not see again than someone who I see on a daily basis. And I think I just like being my mother's kid, you know? I'm pathetically attached to it, and I feel like talking about that kind of stuff will change those dynamics ... o.o But I'm impressed that you can have that kind of relationship with your mother! And I agree, the internet kind of scares me when it comes to stuff like this...

      Delete
  4. Okay.. I find this a bit funny because in where I live, we learned about it in Science class at middle school :D. Pretty early. Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Ovellia! Well, I eventually learnt the details in health class, in high school, but it was the basics, you know? That got stolen from me. I'd rather have been blissfully ignorant until then ^_^ Thanks for the read and comment!

      Delete
  5. Naaaw how sweet :) my mom took me to Mc Donalds once and broke the news to me :/ way to go, mom.

    http://smartestthingsheeversaid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you, long time no see o.o And is that a new blog? What ever happened to the other two?

      Delete
  6. I WAS SO HORRIFIED WHEN I FOUND OUT OH GOD. At first I thought the whole thing happened by kissing, and that itself was traumatising, so you can imagine my reaction when I found out about what happens *after* the kissing. Gyuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawww. Do you remember the days when kissing was a Big Deal? I remember those days. Gosh.

      Delete
    2. OMGGGGG HAHAHAHAHA. I loved this post. Hilarious!
      My mum told me where babies come from (body part) when I was really little, it was no big deal for me. But as for how babies were made... yeah, that was awkward. When I was around 11, my friend told me that our parents had sex and that's how we were born. I remember furiously denying it and saying that it was impossible and only 'white people' did that LOL! I told her our parents prayed for a baby together and it magically appeared in our mums' tummies. (I can't stop laughing while typing this.) But then when I asked my mum to tell me, she said the exact same thing that my friend said :( I was disgusted. But then we learnt about it in school a year later so it became kind of acceptable. I MISS MY CHILDHOOD INNOCENCE :((((

      Delete
    3. LOL xD OMG: 'only 'white people' did that' - that's so funny, and isn't weird we have that kind of thinking at such a young age? And the whole magicky view, d'awwww. So cute. I actually 'LOL-ed' while reading your comment, which I rarely actually do, so thanks for that. I miss my childhood innocence too :')

      Delete
  7. I still remember how I found out. we had this paragraph in our science book that our teacher skipped during class. I, being one of those curious kids, did read that paragraph and looked up the words i didn't know in the dictionary.

    At first, I WAS PRETTY SURE THAT THE DICTIONARY IS WRONG.
    Then, I WAS HORRIFIED. I thought I had committed some sort of a crime by pursuing to know all that i wasn't 'supposed' to know.

    But, oh well, a part of me hasn't changed. The part that refers to the dictionary a gazillion times during the day. And, night :p

    I like your blog ^_^
    Following :)

    And, I like the translation of the Ayah that is your blog's description :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As in, I like the idea of the description; to write translation of an Ayah.

      It's beautiful.
      Al-Qur'an is beautiful :')

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, to think the dictionary was wrong ^_^ You know, if I was in that same situation, as in, discovering it by myself, I would have convinced myself the dictionary WAS wrong and just lived in denial. Oh, and my friend (i.e. Creepy Z) has a similar story, except she read it out of a pregnancy book her mother had (with pictures) when she was fairly young, and rather than being horrified, she was totally cool with it. I myself can't fathom that ^_^

      And I feel weird saying thank you to that, considering I myself didn't come up with it, but you know, I completely agree (duh), the Qu'ran is beautiful :)

      Thanks for the follow! Assuming you have a blog, I will check it out in due course :)

      Delete
  8. You are lucky enough to have a sister..I don't have one to share these nasty jokes..I learnt it from a poor way, stumbling across many stupid reasons..:)
    But learning it was...like..someone all of sudden burst into your mind with lots of unbridled excitement and knowledge...so powerful invasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a really good way to put it ... 'so powerful invasion'. I mean, I wouldn't say I was particularly excited (more like mortified, scarred, distraught.. something like that), but the notion of it being an invasion.... yeah. Makes sense. Thanks for that comment :)

      Delete
  9. The strangest encounters are these. The thin line between a kid and a teenager blurring out.
    I remember asking my mother what condoms were. Still creeps the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHMYGOD. You want to know an embarrassingly funny story? My dad had just dropped someone off at some uni open day, back when he was a taxi driver, and he stopped to get some food, and people were handing out freebies, and as a good Curry, he was taking them up. Later, he handed this thing to me in the car, telling me how some girls had given it to him and asking if I knew what it was...
      ... yeah... what you said. The worst part was that I knew and HE didn't. Gosh ='_'=

      Delete
  10. This brings back so many memories. Sigh. There is so much from our childhoods that we forget to remember. I'm trying to remember really hard, that moment when I found out, but nothing comes to mind. Also, your sister seems fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zeba :) I feel weird, responding so very late (sorry!), but honestly, if you don't remember THIS moment in your life, it's probably a good sign. Means you didn't have such a scarring experience ;) And yeah, my sister can be fun. Depending on your definition of fun :P

      Delete

Meow.