Okay, so firstly, I like stories. So here's a story:
A group of students,
highly established in their careers, got together to visit their old
teacher. Conversation soon turned into complaints about stress in work
and life.
Offering his guests
tea, the teacher went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of
tea and an assortment of cups – porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal, some
plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite – telling them to help
themselves to the tea.
When all
the students had a cup of tea in hand, the professor said: ‘If you
noticed, all the nice looking expensive cups were taken up, leaving
behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only
the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and
stress.
Be assured that the cup
itself adds no quality to the tea. In most cases it is just more
expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink. What all of you
really wanted was tea, not the cup, but you consciously went for the
best cups… And then you began eyeing each other’s cups too.
Now
consider this: Life is the tea; the jobs, money and position in society
are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life, and the
type of cup we have does not define, nor change the quality of Life we
live.
Sometimes, by
concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the tea Allah has
provided us.’ Allah brews the tea, not the cups. Enjoy your tea.
And I think this is the sort of advice/kick-in-the-butt I need every now and again...
Ok. Let's do books.
Oh. My. God.
It's pure awesomeness. Every single thing is perfect. I don't really throw that around easily (I think) but, I mean, she wrote it so well. You'll love the characters, the setting is amazing, every intricate detail is mindblowing, the plot is intriguing and tragic and twisty and - well, okay, here is my review, it's under Quintana but I was reviewing the trilogy as a whole, I guess. Some words of advice:
1. Finnikin of the Rock you can read as a standalone novel, I think, but once you read Froi, rest assured you must read the rest. What's more, unless you have the best of the best memory, I highly recommend reading them consecutively, without a huge gap inbetween. Especially after Froi - there are so many details in it that are relevant to Quintana and if you leave a huge gap inbetween readings (like me), you'll sort of lose the quarter of the novel before you really start understanding everything.
2. Also, hm, from Froi onwards it get's very... adult ='_'= I mean, she doesn't detail stuff, but it's all there in plenty of references. So I guess Arvie, you should stay away ^_^
Okay, now another: The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.
... hold up, forget me throwing about perfection not easily... o.o This novel is perfect too. But... but... in my defense, I'm recommending from my favourites shelf. So everything on the favourites is always perfect. Mostly.
Anyway, I actually read The Book Thief yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago but I feel the need to recommend now, because, last Thursday, I learnt that...
OkayI'mhavingdifficultybreathingagain
THEY'RE MAKING A MOVIE. THEY'REMAKINGAMOVIEFORTHEBOOKTHIEFOHMYGOD.
Now there is something Very Important that you must understand. When I read this book, when Markus Zusak ripped out my heart and fed it through a meat shredder, when I finished it, it didn't occur to me once that this should be a movie. Ever. On the one hand, the story itself is perfectly amazing, but on the other hand, it's just the way he writes. It's so poetic and pretty and perfect. I wouldn't even have the right words to do justice to how he writes, and I guess my subconscious figured a movie needn't, couldn't, do it justice either.
But as soon as I saw the news, I stopped breathing for a while anyway. See, last week, I had been watching a French movie (my way of studying for French), and when I watch these movies, if they turn out okay, I look up the actors/actresses, particularly if they're little, because the younger they are, the more likely the movies they're in don't have naked people getting up to things (as is common with the French). The movie I was watching was Monsieur Lazhar, with a little Canadian-French girl called Sophie Nélisse in one of the minor starring roles...
In case you didn't get that, I think she's perfect. Really.
I think I can give you a run down on The Book Thief without spoiling anything - basically, it's set in Nazi Germany, it's the story of Liesel Meminger... oh, I read some of the blurb, and to finish:
It’s just a small story,
really, about, among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist,
some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of
thievery. . .
And the fun bit? It's told through the voice of Death. You gotta love Death.
Oh, one more thing. What really always gets me about The Book Thief is that Zusak tells you what's going to happen at the end at the start, and it still has the same profound effect when you get to the end, even though you knew it was coming. Gosh. Gosh.
So The Book Thief. January 2014, guys. *dies* (Go read the book though, if you haven't. Or I'll hit you. The movie is NOT a substitute, I don't think it ever is.)
Btw, the soundtrack for Monsieur Lazhar is really nice...
Oh yeah, Monsieur Lazhar is a movie I'd recommend. It's not very climatic, but there's something very... pleasantly melancholic. I'm not sure I can call it that... it basically involves this teacher - Monsieur Lazhar - going to a school where a teacher recently committed suicide in a classroom. While he observes them coping, he... happens to be coping with his own issues. It's just... nice.
So, because my charming French teacher is absolutely useless as a teacher, I've taken to watching French movies as part of my study, besides the tuition I take. As I mentioned before, it's a bit hard to find French movies that don't have random naked people turn up, but... well, okay, if the following movies have random naked people, I'll tell you.
There's Amelie. In one word, it's quirky. It does have ... some naked people. Brief glimpses, and oh God, there's this one scene where you don't see anything but the sound effects are positively scarring.... but they're not the centre of the movie and they're VERY brief, and the overall movie is fantastic x) I've watched it twice.
Les Intouchables. NO naked people. It's ... hm... the unconventional tale of a paraplegic and a young man who sort of accidentally ends up being his caretakerishperson. Based on a true story :)
Ummm... I can't remember any others that were ... exceptional. What else? Well, I absolutely love this post I saw on Linchy's tumblr, but I can't make myself repost all the swearwords and... I'm too lazy to link every single gif. But Harry Potter fans, it's for you. J'adore ♥
Oh, just found this awesome quote:
catalyse:
To people who believe long skirts/concealing clothes/burqas restricts
and oppresses a woman’s sexuality: I can enjoy my body without you
enjoying my body.
Going back to JKRowling, though, I love this quote by her. So much, I wrote it up and stuck it in my school x)
“Fat’ is usually the first insult a girl throws at another girl when she wants to hurt her.
I mean, is ‘fat’ really the worst thing a human being can be? Is ‘fat’ worse than ‘vindictive’, ‘jealous’, ‘shallow’, ‘vain’, ‘boring’ or ‘cruel’? Not to me; but then, you might retort, what do I know about the pressure to be skinny? I’m not in the business of being judged on my looks, what with being a writer and earning my living by using my brain…
I went to the British Book Awards that evening. After the award ceremony I bumped into a woman I hadn’t seen for nearly three years. The first thing she said to me? ‘You’ve lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw you!’
‘Well,’ I said, slightly nonplussed, ‘the last time you saw me I’d just had a baby.’
What I felt like saying was, ‘I’ve produced my third child and my sixth novel since I last saw you. Aren’t either of those things more important, more interesting, than my size?’ But no – my waist looked smaller! Forget the kid and the book: finally, something to celebrate!
I’ve got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don’t want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I’d rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny – a thousand things, before ‘thin’. And frankly, I’d rather they didn’t give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do. Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons.”
I mean, is ‘fat’ really the worst thing a human being can be? Is ‘fat’ worse than ‘vindictive’, ‘jealous’, ‘shallow’, ‘vain’, ‘boring’ or ‘cruel’? Not to me; but then, you might retort, what do I know about the pressure to be skinny? I’m not in the business of being judged on my looks, what with being a writer and earning my living by using my brain…
I went to the British Book Awards that evening. After the award ceremony I bumped into a woman I hadn’t seen for nearly three years. The first thing she said to me? ‘You’ve lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw you!’
‘Well,’ I said, slightly nonplussed, ‘the last time you saw me I’d just had a baby.’
What I felt like saying was, ‘I’ve produced my third child and my sixth novel since I last saw you. Aren’t either of those things more important, more interesting, than my size?’ But no – my waist looked smaller! Forget the kid and the book: finally, something to celebrate!
I’ve got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don’t want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I’d rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny – a thousand things, before ‘thin’. And frankly, I’d rather they didn’t give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do. Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons.”
I think I'll finish this with some songs...
ALEXANDER RYBAK. I love him.
Ingrid Michaelson. So cute (:
Cimorelli. I just love that they're all sisters and they're so nice.
& of course, Lindsey. Because it's Lindsey.




Cuteeeee cat!!!!
ReplyDeleteI knowwww x) He's the Cutest Cat in the World... no bias at all ;)
DeleteI just finished reading The Book Thief. It is awesomeeeee. I was sad for most of the 2nd half of the book. I cried and lingered, not wanting to move on.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts exactly :/ I don't usually read sad books, but Markus Zusak... you can't just let go of it. You have to wallow in it :P
DeleteAaaah, this post just proves how much we need to be living in the same neighbourhood and spending all our free time together.
ReplyDeleteI had the exact same spazz attack when I found out The Book Thief was being made into a film. And I voiced the same concern that it won't be as great because a big chunk of its awesomeness is the writing style.
And I've watched Amelie twice too :D
What else? The Tea Story and J.K.Rowling's rant- love them!
:O We may just be soulmates. One day, Ghadeer, one day we should move nearby, so we can have tea in the evenings and share similar spazz attacks x)
DeleteYES Yes yes yes...and now I love French movies more than ever.
ReplyDeleteAnd we all loved Little Rascals from that time you recommended it...and My Girl.Oh yes.:)
I have "I only surround myself with people I find intellectually stimulating" tattooed on my arm since then.Figuratively.
But thanks man...all awesome obsessiveness-promoting vacation gold you got here.:)
x) OMG, I think I should get some figurative tattoos too. I'd never thought of that, before. Thank YOU ^_^
DeleteAWESOME POST!
ReplyDeleteTHEY'RE MAKING A MOVIE???? ASDFGHJKL. I nearly fell of my chair. WOW. The Book Thief is my FAVOURITE BOOK EVER. EVER. EVER.
Let's just hope they don't ruin the book. .__.
I like the tea cup story. Lovely lesson. :')
Ahh, I have that 'Words for Teenagers' saved in my files. ^^ I even posted it as a journal on SW. HAHA.
About the Marchetta books: I trust your judgement, so I'll stay away. For good measure. :P Thanks.
Not allowed to read the Rowling's books so...no comment. Meh. The quotes are nice, though. ^^
The songs are great too! Lindsey ♥♥ HAHAHA
And Kiko! So adorable. Gah. x)
Stay awesome, Lai.
I haven't been active lately (again). Apologies. Really caught up with various activities. I'll get back soon. Ciao.
YES. FINALLY. I surprised somebody else x) I was starting to feel as if everyone knew about the movie except me '_' Anyhow, no matter what, they can't ruin that book. They can only ruin the movie by itself.
DeleteThe next time I do one of these, I'm going to specifically try recommend a book for you. I always seem to have something you shouldn't read/watch/blah...hm.
Thanks for taking the time to go through this. And it's okay to not be active, really, enjoy life in the real world ^_^
I love stories, and tea and you! Much needed kick in the butt, so thank you. And as always, inspiring, beautiful, soulful. I go from here with more food for thought than I had when I got here. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I kicked your butt and fed your soul :) Thanks ^_^
Deletewell... humans are naturally inclined towards creating more problems for themselves..just like the cup and tea thing, we study hard, work hard to find jobs and then work hard to excel and then work hard to raise our kids and work hard to earn more and before we realize, it is time to retire and then die... in this whole mess, we forget we have to live also and enjoy our life and all the beautiful things that come with it :(
ReplyDeleteSo well said.... sad truth :/
Delete