My Lord! Open up for me my heart. And ease for me my task. And untie the knot of my tongue.
That they may understand my speech.

Qur'an - 20:25-28

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

This and that

Gosh, March is flying by, my library books are overdue, and I haven't posted.

What is happening, you ask? Or maybe Arvie's laughing evilly on the side, you know, NANANANA, THE STRESS AND BUSYNESS CAUGHT UP.

Wrong.

All is quiet on the Laila-front. Well, no, things have happened. Some dramatic stuff. Now, I'm trying to be a little positive. Some of the 'dramatic stuff', they hit me hard, but at the same time, as quick as they came, they left, if that makes sense. I may have bawled and whatnot,  but I also got over it quickly. And I started thinking, well, no matter how tough it was, is there any point immortalising it on the internet? I mean, I know this mentality won't last, but I'll ride the wave as long as it does.

And the stress. This is going to sound so messed up, but I'm stressed a little bit because I'm not stressed. When the year kicked off, I had this study timetable in mind. So, school is from 8:30am to 3pm. Whatever time I get home, I don't work until five. Then from 5pm to 7pm, I study in half-n-hour intervals, with ten minute breaks inbetween - my version of the Pomodoro Technique. From 7pm to 8pm, there would be prayers, tea, and my daily walk/bike ride -

- OMG, BIKE RIDE. Did I tell you guys I got a bike? I mean, it's not a new. It's someone's old bike. But as old as it is, it's in good condition, so I think it's made of love. I love it, for sure. I mean, it's still a bit hard convincing my mother that the chances of someone attacking me when I'm riding le bike are very limited, but we're making progress. I love my bike ♥

Echhem. Okay, so a little after 8pm, I'd have more prayers, and then study until around 9pm, or for as long as I can. I have difficulty studying at night, or under artificial light in general, so I try to finish everything off in the daylight.

But, as of late, this has not been an issue. The issue is I have nothing to do. Star has been threatening multiple punches, she hit me with my pencil case, but it's true. I finish most of my work at school, and when I get home, there's so little to do, and even if there is... it's just... like... it doesn't involve thinking. It's basically mindless regurgitation, and I hate it. I hate it so so so so much. I want to use my brain. I want to explore ideas. I want to discuss them. I want to debate. I want to convince someone. But my subjects just don't require it, besides English, beautiful English, but even then, my classmates just don't like thinking. I miss my Literature class. I miss Star and Jane being in my class, and us gushing over what our Lit teacher spoke about for the day. I'm happy I have my Lit teacher for English, I am, but it just saddens me that I don't have anyone to appreciate him with *sniff* 

And then, when I don't use my brain for school work, I end up thinking and thinking in my head, in all these big circles, and because I can't... 'expel' them anywhere, I get so frustrated. I feel like I lack a purpose now. I need a new hobby. Something big and complicated. I need a life. I need SOMETHING or SOMEONE so that I won't implode. 

So much for positivity. #FirstWorldProblems, pretty much.

You know how they say you don't kill time, time kills you? I get it. Time is eating me alive. I want to get more into religion, but for me to really concentrate on reciting Qu'ran, I need someone explaining the tafseer. If not, I can recite in a mindless drone and nothing goes into my head. Unfortunately, classes aren't catered for my intervals of nothingness. I watched a few Islam related TED talks though (thanks Ghadeer for introducing me earlier on, to the world of TED ^^ )... this one and this one are two that I really liked...

Anyhow, skipping some drama, we had our school athletics carnival yesterday. I allowed myself to be swallowed by the #YouOnlyDoHighSchoolOnce disease, to an extent. Being the artsy vice-captain, I had to help host a costume parade (the two annual big sports carnivals at our school involve dressups), and it was mostly successful. I mean, besides me and the Commander, at least the other captain was there and did his bit, even if the other vice didn't show -_-' Um, I ran a race, the 100m sprint. I came third. Considering I was in jeans (not a good idea, folks), and I only lost to two tall and athletic girls, I'm pretty happy. That was the only thing I ever participated in with regards to athletics in my high school life. I used to do it in primary school, but that was because I was familiar with everyone. High school is scary, even now, when I'm 'at the top of the food chain'. 

And how much are we into viral videos? You guys know the Harlem Shake? It's pretty stupid, my only interest was watching the 'Kids React' video related to it... but then, with the #YouOnlyDoHighSchoolOnce theme, my year level decided to make one. And... although it's still stupid, I'm amused because I know the people in it. So I'm breaking a boundary here, showing you guys the video... opening doors to stalkers who can now uncover my identity and expose me to the world...

... but I don't think I'm that desirable. I'm not in the video, just so you know. I don't dance, I don't like being in too close contact with people (they had difficulty fitting everyone in the frame), I'm still a camera phobic, and I'm in the 'short range' with regards to height i.e. even if I was in it, you wouldn't have seen me. All the short people kind of disappeared x)

So enjoy, I hope you're all having happy days, and you have a purpose. Purposes are good. 
 (The 'Russian grandmas' at the start won the costume pageant... they had a whole act that was just so funny :P  But my personal favourites were Jasmine and the Cookie Monster...)
Peace in,
Laila

8 comments:

  1. High five! I knew I wasn't the only one. We deserve cookies for this! Yes! I'm definitely laughing evilly on the side now. MWAHAHAHA.

    I think the Harlem Shake is pretty lame too. But I watched that link you posted about the kids - HAHAHAHA, hilarious. The lil boy is adorable. ^^ YOUR class's Harlem Shake is good too. COOKIE MONSTERRRR! HAHAHA. You guys are crazy. :)) But it looked like fun so it's a good crazy. ^^

    Whatever that dramatic stuff is, I'm glad you're doing good.

    AND YOU HAVE A BIKE! *stuffs you with cookies* I AM PROUD OF YOU! Keep riding that bike. I approve. *nods*

    Fun post. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I may as well have been the cookie monster, for all the cookies you stuffed in me x) Thanks a heap, though, 'cause you can never have too many cookies.

      (And Kids React videos tend to be awesome :D You should watch 'em react to One Direction... 'twas quite amusing :P )

      And I'm coping, don't worry. All the bad stuff is short-term, so I get over it quickly.

      I thank you for the approval... and again, the cookies xD

      Delete
  2. Haha...pretty cool school you have there but enough with the Harlem Shaking already people...done and overdone now.
    The Pomodoro technique cracked me up,I have my own version,only it involves days of breaks between 15 minute-sessions of study time and as for the #FirstWorldProblems stuff,what matters is that you're trying and that's always a good thing.
    Try researching 'pastimes for the intellectually unchallenged' on Google.:P
    You should try you hand at writing fiction,I,for one,would be really interested to see what you'd come up with!
    And yeah,the React episodes...always fun!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for the end of Harlem shakes x) But at the same time, I think a lot of people do it because it's fun for them, personally. As in, to watch with their own friends and laugh at how stupid they look. Which is why I didn't try to launch a rebellion when the year level decided they wanted to do one :P

      I really like your Pomodoro technique, and I guess, with the lack of work I have now, I could really pull it off ^_^

      I'm going to go ahead and look that up, and I do, for a fact, write fiction. Whether I'm good at it is a huge question mark, perhaps one day I'll post a link here (: When I'm feeling brave... :P

      Delete
  3. You're so deep <3
    I mean it's awesome that you don't want to be brain-dead, other people would be like 'Phew! Doesn't need hard-core thinking'
    And thanks for giving me two TED videos to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, thanks :P I think. But I think a lot of people would feel the same way. SURELY they would. Life is boring being brain dead o.o
      And that thanks goes back to you, again, for introducing me to TED ^^

      Delete
  4. I've also had a study timetable that I've tried to stick to... and failed miserably :P This year I've also been busier than ever *phew* goodluck :D

    Cookie monster! <3 :P

    Would you mind following my other blog? Its pretty new but I have big plans for it :P

    http://yourlifebeingteen.blogspot.com/

    Tay
    x

    ReplyDelete

Meow.