Steamrolling whatever I see,
HUH, despicable me!
-_-'
Remember when I said I was nominated for the Youth of the Year award? Well, in my head it was a far away thing, some months away. I had the interview today.
I'm so ANGRY.
Oh - uh, before you think I was caught by surprise, I was notified a week earlier, so yeah ^^
But I'm so MAD.
At MYSELF.
First and foremost, and I said this to the judges, so hopefully they'll take this into consideration, but I do not like being put on the spot. At all. I'm just awful at it. Sometimes I have random streaks of awesome, but they're very very very... very..... veryveryveryveryvery rare.
Normally, I'm simply one of those people that are continuously met with facepalmwhydidn'tIsaythat? moments. Or, alternatively, facepalmwhyDIDIsaythat? moments.
For example, when we were studying The Kite Runner, and my teacher had been rattling on about something or another, we came to realise that some character in the novel didn't have a last name. For the sake of the discussion, my teacher asked us to come up with one - some Afghan/Pakistani last name. I started racking my brains, thinking of the Afghan/Pakistani people I knew, and the first one that came to mind I blurted out.
I said Khan. LHASLJFHADSF. That's the name of the protagonist! Behold, my stupidity in situations of spontaneity.
So anyhow, on that side-note, interviews are obviously based on being put on the spot. I can safely say that I didn't say anything particularly humiliating, it was not dreadful, but.... I was just so awkward and as soon as I stepped out all these things came to mind for me to say and I really wanted to just run back in there and dive onto my knees, my nose even, and beg for a second chance.
I mean, their questions were very open-ended, because they wanted us to be able to respond 'in a way that is comfortable for you', but... I couldn't. When people say 'tell us about yourself', I ... don't know what to say. When they asked 'talk about a global issue', my mind just went blank, but I like global issues! I think about them a lot! Whyy? WHYYYY?
It's not fair. This was about three hours ago, and since then all I can think of is these things I could have said, explained better, talked about. Interesting, quirky, perhaps even funny stuff. And I have to spend the rest of my life knowing that I could have really impressed them, and I didn't.
Now there's only the speech left, and all I can see are flaws. Flaw flaws flaws, riddled throughout my speech. And I keep worrying that's it not interesting or funny, it's overdone, it's cheesy, it's patronizing, it's biased, they'll hate it, blah blah blah, and I really DON'T want to see these, I DON'T want to think like this, but I can't help it.
Not to mention my parents - I don't want to let them down. They're so excited. My dad keeps saying 'when you win, yadda yadda yadda', and I'm trying to get it to them that it's only a possibility - a slight, miniscule possibility - but I just know they're going to be disappointed.
I need some optimism. Oh, I'll tell you about Wednesday!
Wednesday I did my English issues oral. She gave us a list of topics, mind you, that had to be researched minimally, and argued more logically. I picked 'Advertisements should be banned', although I amended it slightly so they should only be restricted. Anyhow, I had a speech written out - I picked this topic on her request because the one I wanted I had too much to say on, so my speech for this was perfectly in time.
But my teacher, being the revolutionary that she is, made a new rule. She said if you use cue cards, she'll take a mark off. It's only one mark, but she wanted us to try be a bit more focused on delivery, rather than reading, you know?
Well, I couldn't go up there without my cue cards, they're just comfortable to me. But - and here's a moment of my awesome spontaneity - I decided that I was not going to use them. I figured it would be a compromise; I'd try without them, but if I went mind-blank, well, I'd have the security of my beautiful cards.
Ladies and gentlemen, I did the whole thing without the cards. I'm not talking about memorised speech. I'm talking about pure improvisation and communication. I knew my three points - I guess minimal research and maximum logic really helps on that, 'cause you don't have to keep facts and figures and references in your head - and then I just stood there and delivered and it was the best experience ever. I made proper eye-contact, and I finished perfectly in time - 4 minutes and 55 seconds (the limit is 5min.)
My grade was 19/20! x)
The one mark I lost was for the rebuttal. You know how I said she had a list of topics? Well, this one guy wasn't there that day, and he had already made his own oral when he came back, so she didn't want to make him redo it. Being the lucky girl I am, I was picked to rebut him (everyone had to rebut somebody, I mean, they don't reply, you just provide a counter-argument.). You know what his topic was? Fitness is good for you.
How's one supposed to argue against that? I managed it though, and 4/5 for that section is good enough for me.
Huh, maybe I'm overreacting. It's weird, 'cause I know, in my heart of hearts, that I'm not going to win. But being human, I couldn't help getting caught up in it, and in my head it was all going to work out like a dream. Such is life.
I just spoke to Star.... I feel better ^^ It's not that she told me that there's hope yet! or you're underestimating yourself , though those things are still nice and appreciated.... all she did was just relate to me, and we had a nice collaborated rant about our failings at these on-the-spot-moments.
I love my friends ♥
I love my friends ♥
And I love you guys too! I mean it. I appreciate each and every one of your comments, every single letter you write.
I was talking to a family friend once, and this new girl that came to my Islamic studies class, and you know, I was building friendships. Anyhow, while we were in the mode of figuring out common attributes, it came out that they're both tumblr people. Feeling left out, I mentioned I had a blog. My family friend was all snicker-y (it's just how we roll, I love her x) ) and she was like, 'do you have any followers?' At the time, I had maybe three? Which is meagre compared to the jizbillions of tumblr followers you can have. But I was thinking about it, and I realised that you can have those jizbillions of followers, who aimlessly reblog whatever you put up, who are just more numbers on your 'followers' list, or you could have a few followers, even just one, who faithfully reads your every post, whose comments extend to more than just a 'lol', who offers you advice and is even ready to tell you where you're wrong in a reasonable manner.
The latter would be more than just a number on a followers list - it would be a friend. I'm happy to have the less-than-jizbillion followers that I do. You guys are AWESOME. Keep that in mind for me, won't you? (:
Linchy picture moment! Rumi quote, read from bottom up:
She said she didn't upload it on her deviantART because she doesn't like it. But I do, the colour scheme (*wink wink*) is my favourite. It's pretty, non?
And... here's a pic Star just sent me O_O
ATM:
Writing: NaNoWriMo. I'm saying that 'cause it's on my mind still...
Reading: Silas Marner. George Eliot. Tis... interesting, so far. I haven't reached A Point, yet.
Listening to: Catch My Breath. Kelly Clarkson. NU SONG, BRO! xD
Feeling: Relieved. Vented out and all that...
(GAH. It's so hard to pick a favourite verse!!)
Catching my breath, letting it go
Turning my cheek for the sake of this show
Now that you know, this is my life
I won't be told what's supposed to be right
Catch my breath
No one can hold me back
I ain't got time for that
Catch my breath
Won't let them get me down
It's all so simple now
Peace in,Turning my cheek for the sake of this show
Now that you know, this is my life
I won't be told what's supposed to be right
Catch my breath
No one can hold me back
I ain't got time for that
Catch my breath
Won't let them get me down
It's all so simple now
Laila

Not everyone's a Peeta at interviews. :P Don't worry. The fact that you thought 'I should have said this!' shows that you HAVE the potential to be good at interviews, because you CAN think of good responses. You just have to work on realizing that potential by (ba dum tiss) throwing yourself into more situations where you need to use them. 'Well, DUH' advice, I know, but that doesn't make it any less true. That's how you learn.
ReplyDeleteDebates, speeches, interviews, heart-to-hearts, witty banter (you'd need someone specific for the last two O.o). Besides making you better in terms of confidence, you'll also be more open, think more logically and pick up little inconsistencies. Also: your mind will eventually stop blanking out because it'll know it can't afford to. Practice. Practice. Practice!
And I know the fear of disappointment. Trust me, there is absolutely nothing that can make me feel truly horrible except for the thought that I've disappointed. Myself, my parents, my friends, someone else, it doesn't matter who. The very thought of the feeling in itself is enough to give me soul-crushing emptiness. What I usually think for situations such as yours, though, is that it won't affect my parents. They'll be affected because you'll be affected, so if you're not affected, they're not affected, so, therefore, it's not them, it's you. So, you have to live up to your own expectations, not theirs.
...I sincerely hope that made sense. ANYHOW, the point is that they'll carry on with their lives quite easily, no matter what the outcome. They won't even be disappointed, not really. Disappointment comes when the taste of victory is in the air, not even it's only ever remotely present. So, don't worry about disappointing them. And don't worry about yourself.
Just realize that not all of what you could be has been achieved at the point, so right now you'll do worse than you could have done if you were better. And how'll you get better? By doing this, no matter how badly you go about it. Coal today, jam tomorrow ^^
Congrats on the 19/20! xD 'tis quite the achievement. Keep at it!
Also (here's where the debater in me goes rawwrrr) you could have rebutted on the topic by questioning what is truly 'good' for you. It's a really slippery slope, but that's what I'd have clutched at. I'd definitely gain much more pleasure sitting on my butt playing video games than I would jogging four miles. By that definition, is it not 'good' for me because of the fact that the alternatives to physical activity that result in fitness provide me much more pleasure? Of course, in the long run, fitness is better for my health, but there comes the health versus happiness argument. Cake versus broccoli, if you will. :P I'm guessing you got the gist. I won't write a whole debate here.
Also: Could you tell me what your NaNo idea is? O.o I'm quite interested in what people conjure up in the one place that there are no limits: imagination.
I love you too! I know that sounds creepy because we've never met but blogger friends connect on so many levels and could even be closer than real friends. And I soo don't get the point of tumblr, really. Such fake blogging!
ReplyDeleteThink of your upcoming speech as another English Issues oral. There's no way you can't repeat that awesome performance.
I am so proud of you about your success on Wednesday! Cheers and cookies! If I could give you a hug, I'd smother you with it. Seriously. THAT'S more than what I can accomplish and I'm really happy for you. ^__^ You deserve your marks! Woohoo! :D
ReplyDeleteAbout the interview: Learn from it. Take it as a stepping stone. It's your first. It doesn't have to be perfect, right? Don't beat yourself up for it. Keep it to memory. Analyse and like what Ali said...practice, practice, practice. You'll get the hang of it all in due time. Don't rush, it'd just get harder.
Just...stay put and take everything that comes your way as another opportunity to learn something new about yourself.
I LOVE YOU TOO. You're awesome. ♥
I like that quote Star gave you. :')
....and uh, to be honest, I don't get Tumblr. For some reason, I can't figure out how to use it. So yeah, no Tumblr for me. I'm very much contented with my blog as it is. ^^
T-O-T-A-L-L-Y know what you mean!! There have been times when after an argument/debate I'd go home and just randomly come up with the most awesome come-backs or deadly points - but its too late. I have even tried to recreate those arguments for the sake of bringing my awesome point to light - it works sometimes but most of the times the flame just goes out. It was a moment thing! And then I'll just be chasing my tail going round and round in circles asking myself WHY I couldn't have come up with those coolio points at that time??! Why does my brain freeze and words slur as the thinking and talking parts of my being do not cooperate!! gaah!
ReplyDeleteThe thing is though (and this may not make much sense at this time) that THAT particular argument or debate or interview in this case honestly won't make have a lot of significance in the long run. I know this is a huge thing to you and your family is REALLY looking forward to it (its probably added as a footnote to your future wedding invitation cards already!). If you do win - YYAAAAAYYYY!! can't wait for you to announce it on your blog! But if you don't, YEARS from now, the interview you THINK you didn't do so well at won't be the memory you will recall. The memory you WILL easily recall are the ones where you were awesome - like doing the oral without the cards.
Sending lots of curry flavors your way!
<3