So I promised a not-so-wordy post...
... and so you'll get a not-so-wordy post. This is in honour of our school's third annual Art's Fest. Basically, it celebrates our painters, sculpters, photographers, dancers, actors, musicians, writers, and... well, my friend Mona Lisa is in her own category, but we celebrate her too x) I did not win the writing competition, but I lost to Star, so it didn't bruise my ego. We have this mutual thing going that we can't lose to anyone but each other. In fact, the only reason we both forced out entries this year (bad prompt, bad timing, lack of inspiration = forced), is because we had an inkling that a Certain Other Person was entering, and we wanted to prove who's on top. And Star, her story was beautiful. If she puts it on SW, I'll post a link, but if you do happen to go and check it out, please don't mention this blog, 'cause she don't know about it, and I don't want anyone to know about it ^^
Anyway... okay, I really want to talk about stuff, but I won't. Now, although I mentioned this being in honour of our school's Art's Fest, I'm not actually posting anything from there. This is just a free promotion of the works of my lovely friends, and some of mine, though there's not much of it. Here goes...
First up, remember a certain crayon-melting event I mentioned awhile back? Well, here it is, the first ever crayon-melting project of Star and I...
Yes, there's a little smudge there, but it was our first one, okay? Star and I did the colour explosion together, and the clouds I made myself (:
+
+
=
Running commentary: So, I did the lettering for the 'Dreams' canvas, and picked the colour scheme because Star REFUSES to accept she has talent, and you can clearly see my colour-ist side x) But she did the majority of the melting, so kudos to her skill, huh? The kite was made by her and her father, once again, I did the lettering. And I did the REVOLUTIONS canvas, but we found all the newspaper words together. I'm pretty proud of the shading I did with soft pastel - the black fading to centre thing... Unfortunately, at the Art's Fest, they didn't set it up like we wanted it to be set up, so it just looked silly, but who cares? We entered for fun, no way on Earth would I compete with Mona Lisa. I wish I could show you what she made, but a) I didn't take photos, and b) I think I'd have to ask permission first ^^
Now, on a more sombre note, for our tutor's mother's funeral, Star wanted to make flowers (did I mention they're family friends?). She felt it would be more special, but of course, she refuses to believe in her own artistic talent, so I painted them, and the leaves... here goes:
Is it not beeeeyooootiful? She made it, with her own two hands! BRILLIANT, no?
Oh look... it's my incredibly adorable China-doll beautiful niece... hm... wonder how she got there....
And now I'm going to promote some more awesome friend work. LINCHSTER. My best best best friend ever. You can go shower her with compliments with mention to this blog, 'cause she's the only RL friend who knows about it x) She's a techie kind, a pro on Photoshop, and she has many works posted on her deviantART - link is on the side, under L'impressionat Files... (I updated it, if it didn't work before)... so here's some of my favourites of hers (it's hard to pick):
SO SO SO DIFFICULT TO STOP THIS LINCHY EXPLOSION!
Just a few more...
Okay, I swear if I keep going, when you go over there you will have nothing to see. But do go, she's made of awesome :)
[Right now it's midnight, I think I'ma go to bed and finish this off tomorrow... this takes time and effort, you know, and I love sleep.]
[I'm backkk.]
Hm, so what else? Oh okay, so I think I'll finish with some photography from yours truly. Just saying, I do not claim to be a Professional Photographer, so you needn't... critique it. And I usually take photos of nature and cute babies, 'cause it's hard for them to turn out ugly.
These are some from my Summer holiday, part one, Sri Lanka (I didn't get many good shots in Malaysia, 'cause it was night...):
AHA! Here's one I didn't take. Look - it's me! Behind one of those cheeky cousins... always getting in the way... *cough cough*
D'aww. Elephants.
[I'm backkk.]
Hm, so what else? Oh okay, so I think I'll finish with some photography from yours truly. Just saying, I do not claim to be a Professional Photographer, so you needn't... critique it. And I usually take photos of nature and cute babies, 'cause it's hard for them to turn out ugly.
These are some from my Summer holiday, part one, Sri Lanka (I didn't get many good shots in Malaysia, 'cause it was night...):
AHA! Here's one I didn't take. Look - it's me! Behind one of those cheeky cousins... always getting in the way... *cough cough*
D'aww. Elephants.
My little sister. In the days when she was not an insufferable brat.
I miss the mountains. You know, I think this is the worst thing I've done in a while. I'm feeling so homesick now. Is it not a beautiful land? Well, the fact that my family is there only increases it's beauty. Let's say these photos are a few of like, jizbillion. And that's Sri Lanka alone - I didn't even include the Saudi pics in this one o.O
Look at my precious snowball Dx How he's growing up! (Yeah, I didn't take this one... I wish I'd been there to take it.)
So I leave you with remembrances of autumn - my favourite season...
... to our first rose for Spring :)
[Btw, I realise it helps if you click on one, and it opens this slideshow-y thing, so you can see les photos bigger]
I feel compelled to put one of those copyright things, but I don't know how to, so here: THESE PHOTOS ARE MINE. LAILA N MYSIS, UNJUMBLED. DO NOT STEAL. Please.
I miss the mountains. You know, I think this is the worst thing I've done in a while. I'm feeling so homesick now. Is it not a beautiful land? Well, the fact that my family is there only increases it's beauty. Let's say these photos are a few of like, jizbillion. And that's Sri Lanka alone - I didn't even include the Saudi pics in this one o.O
Look at my precious snowball Dx How he's growing up! (Yeah, I didn't take this one... I wish I'd been there to take it.)
So I leave you with remembrances of autumn - my favourite season...
... to our first rose for Spring :)
[Btw, I realise it helps if you click on one, and it opens this slideshow-y thing, so you can see les photos bigger]
I feel compelled to put one of those copyright things, but I don't know how to, so here: THESE PHOTOS ARE MINE. LAILA N MYSIS, UNJUMBLED. DO NOT STEAL. Please.
ATM:
Writing: Nothing... except my SAC story.
Reading: Peeps. Scott Westerfeld. Lovin' eet. I love how he weaves facts and random bits of knowledge into the story, in a fun way. Almost makes me want to go back to bio.
Listening to: A Kelly Clarkson Playlist x)
Feeling: HOMESICK. Big time, homies.
No song lyrics today, I'm going to link you to this article (not my words, so no accusations of being wordy x) Plus, it's always optional, right?) which I found really awesome. In Pursuit of Unhappiness. Not as bleak as it sounds, I swear. And and and, two blog posts, this one by Danny, which I found very intriguing (and yes, okay, on the bleak side), and this one by Meli which is simply beautiful, and more on the empowering optimistic side.
That is all.
Peace in,
Laila

Dude. You're choosing all my old works. OLD. Okay, only some are way old, but still. THEY'RE SUPERDY OLD!!!! WHAT!
ReplyDeleteGee you don't have to do this promotion. I know I'm awesome even without the crowd. Haha.
Nice crayon explosion. I've seen that kind of art before, and I've always thought it was coolsies. :D:D:D
a. Your art is awesome! Jealous :(
ReplyDeleteb. I can't believe the flowers are hand-made!
c. SriLanka is sooo beautiful!
d. I've never seen an elephant :(
The crayon-melting project is so cool :D
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, I love the whole concept Dreams concept. Sooo good.
You both did an awesome job :)
Wow, the flowers look super pretty.
Gah, I'm just gushing over all the art work in this post :P
Star sure is talented, and so are you!
Linchster's work is so so so good!
Srilanka is so beautiful, with all the greenery and mountains. I went there a long time ago, I was like 6 years old back then so I don't remembered much :/
I can't even begin how to tell you how much your arts rock. Seriously. They're FANTASTIC. You're so talented and creative. Jealous, jealous. I'm glad and happy that you have such an impressive talent. ^^ You're living up to your artsiness. Kudos. I am officially a fan. :P
ReplyDeleteI love love the crayon art best. My first reaction is: I WANT TO TOUCH THAT! Really. I want to feel those dried crayons. I can just imagine their feel, y'know. Smooth but ragged as well. It's EPIC. I think you did really well with the color combination and everything. It's not too cluttered as I'd expect from a crayon art. I LOVE IT. ^^
Your 'Dreams Are Revolutions' is wonderful as well. Although, I think the color schemes clashed a bit. They're like...I dunno, fighting for the spotlight from each other. Umm, I can't think of a better phrase. Sorry. Not sure if you get what I mean. Anyway, I like the revolutions part. Must have taken you a while to find those words/phrases, or no? :P You did an awesome job nonetheless.
The paper flowers are so beautiful! And sweet. I'm sure Star's tutor will love it. You can just tell the love and concern behind her work. Both of yours, actually. :)
WOW. I didn't know Linchy does that. They're amazing! Tell her she's awesome. But she probably knows that already. :P I am definitely stalking her page.
Ahh, Sri Lanka is lovely. It's very country-ish. And peaceful and just... lovely. I'll put it on my places-to-visit list. :P And the elephants! I only see elephants in zoos, y'know. And those are not so properly cared for which is really sad. I'm sure the zoo keepers are trying their best but I still think that animals live way better in their natural habitat.
Autumn. Sigh. I can only wish. We don't have that here and it looks really beautiful. No wonder it's your favourite.
Hey, I have a suggestion concerning your homesickness. Why don't you make a video of your relatives with each one saying a message for you or something. You know, little instances that you could always play when the attack is at its worst? But then that might make you MORE homesick and okay, it doesn't sound like a good idea now. Forget I brought it up. Heh.
I read the article. I completely agree with it. It seems that Westerners have such an idealistic view about happiness, they never stop to wonder WHY they're pursuing it so much instead of being thankful in whatever situation they're already in. They worry too much about tomorrow, they forget that they're still in today.
Awesome post, Lai. As always. ^^
I like the first comment. Friends yeh? :P
ReplyDeleteLoving the pictures. The flowers are cool. And the crayon art. WOAH! I am in awe.
Now stop hiding behind kids and blame them for it! Heh.
Amazzzziiiiiiiiinnnnnggggg!!!
ReplyDelete& now I want to see those places for myself :DD
BTW, that "Dreams Are Revolutions" piece... WOW♥ I loves it :D
(& your friend's talent is epicus :3 same for Linchy's! *MUST FOLLOW LINCHY ON TUMBLR XD* ...*goes and does that now* :3 YAY!♥ I totes didn't know she had a tumblr, anyways xD THANKIES FOR SHARING!!)
^_______^
Hey, I know a Srilankan blogger (she blogs at http://thoughts-of-a-scarfed-sri-lankan.blogspot.com/) and I have a feeling that you two should be aware of each others' blogs so..trying to make that happen :P
ReplyDeleteAlso, write more often!