My Lord! Open up for me my heart. And ease for me my task. And untie the knot of my tongue.
That they may understand my speech.

Qur'an - 20:25-28

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Oh Happy Day

EID MUBARAK! 

to those who celebrate. To those who don't, whaddup? I think I said that last time, but whatever. And I think we may be ahead for time - I always hear people say 'it's tomorrow in Australia', so maybe this is early for you guys. But yeah, be happy, have a wonderful day.

Admittedly, it started off awfully. As usual, it was my mother v. moi on clothes. Because of our financial crisis, there was no Eid shopping for new clothes, and we had to improvise. I'm all for old comfy casual. My mother wanted me to dress up in the traditional gear with colours so bright it would be blinding.

I hate it.

I wanted to wear my abaya, but my mother said it was old, and people would talk. 'Sif I care if people talked. But my sister had this brilliant idea to wear one of my mother's, and I was like, yeah, okay, me too. Now, my sister is pretty. I try not to tell her too often, 'cause she has a big head, but she is. She could pass off for Arab, or Afghan. I couldn't. I'm not attractive, and... while everything can be made to look good on my sister, there are some things that just don't go with me. Like: bright colours.

Okay, back track to l'abaya. So I agreed to wearing one of my mother's, and I asked my sister to pick one out, 'cause I didn't know which one. Mine are all that soft black material, but my mother's are this thick kind, in different colours - like dark blue and stuff. So I trusted my sister to pick one. She did. Then it came to the headscarf. 

My sister says that because I don't wear makeup or much jewelry, I have to compensate for my mother's sake by wearing something bright. She says this is the reason why my mother likes to have me imitate the teletubbies. So for this abaya she picked out - black - I have to wear a bright scarf.

I had a bad feeling, but I'm like, okay. She gets out this purple one. It's pretty nice, but I just know it won't go with me. But my sister's like: 'Ugh, please, you're so fussy. I'll put it on for you.'

So I agree.

It was all WRONG. It was a massive shawl shape - I'm used to squares, or sometimes smaller shawls, but not LARGE ones. And it was this stretchyish material, so I couldn't have a peak, and with the shape of my head, I need  a peak. But me, I trusted my fashionista sister. 

I should not have. She didn't do it, in the end, and because my dad was paranoid we'd be late, she told my mother to do it. My mother is just as beautiful, so anything looks good on her. She put her scarf style on me, and it looked hideous. As if I'm not tubby already, now I just looked like an oversized grandma. The abaya was too big and thick, and it had shoulder pads. I hate shoulder pads. HFLAKJDHFADF.

But I pulled myself together, thought I'd be okay. It was not okay. I felt like the ugliest girl in the world. Everyone at the Eid prayer in the Uni basketball stadium looked lovely. Graceful, elegant. Some of the in rich outfits, others in really simple (and my mother can compliment them for it, but if I imitate that style it's like NOOO YOU LOOK LIKE A BEGGAR!). Their hijabs were neat, flowy, pretty. And there was dumpy, lumpy, ugly me. No exaggerations. At all. And my hijab was falling apart and I wanted to cry. Actually at our community breakfast, I did cry, but I managed to make it look like I had something in my eyes. And my dear Cow Girl friend was there, and she just made me feel better without realising. She's just so funny and sweet and I missed her dearly :')

And then there were the cookies. My sister made cookies. I had a feast afterwards. By God, it feels great to eat in the day again.

That's the only thing I'm looking forward to in growing up, though. I want to pick my own outfits. I want to wear abayas and maxi-dresses and short dresses with jeans and skirts and all that jazz almost everywhere, and I don't want to look like a frilly mutant from Sesame Street. I want dark colours, and I don't want to be decked top to toe in glitter and sequins. I know I'm not the prettiest in the world, and I don't mind, really, but when I know I can look better and feel more comfortable, why can't I take that option? So yeah, mummy dear, I won't miss your wardrobe choices.

On a brighter note, d'you guys - for whose been here that long - remember the cake from last time? Well guess what?! I have TWO more to show you. And guess what even more?! Does that even make sense? Who cares! 

WE MADE THE CAKES.

Did I tell you my sister takes icing classes with our old neighbour (i.e. lady that made the cake from last time) and I was envious? Well, my sister has been strutting her stuff, and she got two orders. Being Curry, they handed those orders in late, so it didn't turn out as well as it could have. Being a money hungry moron, my sister didn't want to turn them down.

So she enlisted (i.e. forced) my help, and we made two superawesomeokayfineamateur cakes. Granted, we didn't get to eat them, but whatever.

I'm going to show you the ugly one first, because it's made of superheroes. The lady told us Spiderman, and then she told us to add Ben 10 and Batman. After we worked out the colour scheme and everything. It looked ugly, I hated it, I'm going to kill any superheroes I see any time soon, so beware:

I did le web and les letters :) My sister did everything else (the superheroes are on edible paper....). Please remember we're (particularly I) amateurs. My sister's only been to less than ten classes, and me: none.

And now for the prettier one that to me is awesome, but maybe that's just my pride blinding me...


Heh heh heh. I did the fondant flowers and the letters, again, and my sister did all the buttercream. Clearly in the second picture you can see how... unpolished I am, but still. So whatchu think? If you're worried about all the colour, note that both cakes were for kids' families, who were throwing kidsy parties.

Other than the never-ending clothes wars with my mother, Eid is such a beautiful event. Particularly this year, where I think most communities were on the same day. There's something about having a few dozen communities crammed into the one hall, the throaty thrum of the takbeer being called out in unison, filling every inch of the stadium. The hugs and kisses, the little kids and babies in adorable new outfits. How generously the adults share out lollies and stuff. 

... yeah.

That is all. Have a wonderful day, may it be filled with cookies and cake, love and laughter, and trouble and turmoil to pick yourself out of for some triumph. Don't worry, be happy ^^

ATM:
Writing: Still that Girl. Surprise surprise, based off Britt Nicole's song, it's a shorty long :)
Reading: Collected Stories. Peter Carey. Haven't had time, and can't find the motivation. It's awful.
Listening to: Stand. Britt Nicole.
Feeling: Nostalgic. I miss my family :/
When I feel like giving up,
When the heart has hurt too much,
Feels like I've reached the end
No I won't turn and run,
This battle will be won
So I stand, stand, stand....
Peace in,
Laila

9 comments:

  1. It took me years before finally getting the style of hijab wearing that compliments me. Ages. I remember one year during Eid, I felt like crying due to how I looked like. I've always felt messy while everyone else looked so smart and refined.

    The cakes looook pretty I love the second one <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe those cakes are something you made at home! They are works of art!

    And also, I don't care what you say. I am pretty sure you are beautiful. Because God doesn't create anything that isn't perfect and wonderful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question. Is 'Eid Mubarek' spelt with an 'A' or 'E' before the k? 'cause you used both and I'm a little confused with that. I'm not sure it's important but I'm a little...bothered. Lol. Sorry. I like to know which is the correct spelling.

    I didn't know what 'abaya' was so I had to search it up first. And I was like: WOW. So that's what it is. I think it's very modest and beautiful. ^^ I totally understand about the clothes thing. Everyone else wants to dress you up like a doll to make you supposedly beautiful but you yourself feels like...crappy. I cannot think of a better word, so pardon me. I still haven't seen you so I'm not going to deny or try to encourage you think otherwise about how you look. Whatever I say, it's up to you, really. You're you and you're already beautiful for that.

    I totally remember the cakes you made last year! They looked so good! And the ones you made this year too! Gah. Will you make one for my birthday? It's coming up in 3 weeks! *puppy eyes*

    Stay happy too, Laila! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eid Mubarak ^^

    Picking my own clothes started for me early on, when I showed my mum that I was more than capable of picking my own stuff while still managing look decent. No objections unless it's exceptionally horrible (which it never is ). What I learned, though, is that you have to make everything go together. You HAVE to, because it feels like you're letting all the clothes go to waste otherwise. It's almost magical, how the most horrible items of clothing can be pulled off if you manage the right combination.

    Anyhow, the cakes look epic @_@ Both of them. I'm not really an expert on cakes or whatever, but both of them look pretty scrumdiddilyuptious. It doesn't look amateurish at all. That first sideways shot of the second cake looks...Er, the only word I can think of is 'professional', but that's not quite what I want to say. Just think along those lines.

    I'm glad you had an epic Eid. May the next one be even better xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great entry ^___^ *scoops you up and huggles thee*

    The cakes are awesometastic (the second is definitely cutesy!) && Eid Mubarak to you, too! (Although, I must say that I don't exactly celebrate it yet... but I plan to when I'm older, because I have a boyfriend to indulge and oblige in awesome stuff :D & he's Muslim, so... *blushes* Yeah, it's gonna be totes epicus♥)

    ^__^ && I've missed reading from you, so... yaaaaaaay xD So much to catch up on♥

    Huggles, cupcakes, and happy thoughts,
    Meli ^_^

    P.s.
    I do get the frustration from being dressed up by a Mom... haha... my Mom used to do that to me and my siblings during festivities when we were younger. xD But, oohblahdi! You sounded uber cutesy, and I'm sure that the time for your individualism will come sooner or later... you know, when you can do everything you want (with and/or without boundaries). ^__^ Btw, your blog has made me smile continually. Great writing, and great pictures on the sidelines. Do keep writing, mademoiselle ^^!

    ReplyDelete
  6. EID MUBARAK SWEETIE! :) Beautiful post, I wish I'd seen this earlier, so I could've properly wished you. I just love the spirit of Eid, the infectious thrill in the atmosphere, seeing everyone you love, all together ... it's truly wonderful.
    Up until recently, I've always had a similar problem: every Eid, I pick out Eid clothes I like, then my sister ( younger by 11 months) who is incredibly fashionable, and always manages to look good, will wear something that makes my Eid clothes look drab in comparison. Then I feel slightly sulky, thinking 'for once, why can't I ever look better than her'? Sadly, I don't think I ever will, but I've decided to stop comparing myself to her, and feeling good about what I'm wearing nevertheless.
    J'adore the cakes! Not amateurish at all! Yummm :)
    xox, love, Maya
    P.S Beautiful pictures/blinkies on the sidebar. And I adore the verses of the Qur'an you on your banner. From Ta-ha, one of my favourite Surah's =')

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, (belated) Eid Mubarak to you :)

    Oh gosh, seems like you had a bad day with all the clothes malfunction :/

    Wow the cakes look awesome!
    I bet those kids were super happy :D
    You guys did a great job, specially considering that you're still amateurs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. You seem to have had an eventful eid. I wish you hadn't cried though and that soon you start to feel beautiful and comfortable in your skin. I am sure you are a beautiful person, inside and out. :-)Loving the cakes. Pretty soon you are going to me cake masters, you and your sister. Also, I need a peak too when I wear the scarf. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA! I totally understand the clothes thing. The line I (almost) always get is "why do you dress up like a poor person who does not have any clothes??!". I'm sure my mom means that without any offense to anyone. My clothes are (almost) always never good enough. And don't get me started on Eids - it has to be that shiny glittery sequenced salwaar kameez that some aunt would have gifted me and I stashed at the far end of my closet. Sigh.

    I love the entire feeling of Eid though - its beyond just the clothes, just the gifts, just the food - its a mixture of all of that and more.

    Cakes look fabulous! First one looks incredibly neat. Second looks incredibly pretty (i want to eat it!). When a Sri Lankan places an order in advance or arrives on time, be surprised. Be very surprised.

    ReplyDelete

Meow.